Hot Cross Scrolls
When two of your favourite things collide! These Hot Cross Scroll are when hot cross buns meet cinnamon scrolls. The ultimate Easter recipe for the family!
Baking hack - Click here to make things a little easier by using White Wings Crafted Cinnamon Scrolls packet mix.
- 150ml lukewarm milk
- 2 tbs CSR Caster Sugar
- 2 tsp (1 sachet/ 7g) dried yeast
- 75g melted butter
- 1 egg
- 2 cups (300g) White Wings Plain Flour
- 1 cup coarsely chopped sultanas
- 1/3 cup (75g) CSR Muscovado Sugar
- 60g softened unsalted butter
- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- Finely grated zest of 1 orange
- ¾ cup (120g) CSR Pure Icing Sugar
- 2 ½ tsp milk
- Combine milk, ½ tsp caster sugar and yeast in a small bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes until frothy. Add the butter and egg and whisk to combine. Combine flour and remaining sugar in a large bowl; add the milk mixture and stir until a wet dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 8 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place in a lightly greased bowl, cover with cling wrap and set aside in a warm place for 1 hour to prove.
- Meanwhile, for cinnamon butter, combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Preheat oven to 200C (180C fan-forced). Grease and line the base and sides of a 22cm round cake pan or 20cm square cake pan. Roll the dough between two sheets of baking paper to a 35cm x 25cm rectangle. Spread the cinnamon butter evenly over the dough, then scatter with sultanas. Starting with one long side, tightly roll the dough to enclose the filling. Refrigerate for 10 minutes to firm. Using a serrated knife, cut evenly into 9 scrolls. Arrange scrolls in the lined cake pan. Loosely cover with cling wrap and set aside in a warm place for 30 minutes to prove.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce oven 180C (160C fan-forced). Bake for 15 minutes until golden.
- To make icing, combine icing sugar and milk in a small bowl. Place half the glaze in a disposable piping bag fitted with a 5mm piping nozzle. Add 1 tsp milk to the remaining glaze and brush over the warm scrolls. Pipe the thicker glaze over the tops of scrolls for form crosses. Set aside for 20 minutes to set. Serve at room temperature.