Blueberry Layer Cake
This Made for Memories Blueberry Layer Cake is the ultimate labour of love.
With layers of home-made blueberry jam, swisse meringue icing and fluffy sponge, this cake is a true masterpiece. Make this Blueberry Layer Cake for a special occasion like Mother’s Day to show your love.
- 225g butter, cubed
- 1¼ cups CSR Caster Sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 350ml Greek yoghurt
- 60ml milk
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 4 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2¼ cups CSR Jam Setting Sugar
- 10g butter
Swisse Meringue Buttercream:
- 6 egg whites
- 1½ cups CSR Caster Sugar
- 400g unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ cup blueberry jam
- Fresh blueberries, to garnish
- For the cake, preheat oven to 160°C fan-forced. Lightly grease three 20cm round cake tins and line the base with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and caster sugar using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition until combined.
- Fold in half of the flour and yoghurt. Continue with remaining half until combined.
- Divide mixture between the three prepared pans. Sprinkle with blueberries. Bake for 40 mins. Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 10 mins before turning onto wire racks.
- To make blueberry jam, crush blueberries in a food processor or blender. Combine in a large saucepan with Jam Setting Sugar over a low heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Add the butter and increase heat to a rolling boil for approximately 4 mins. Remove from heat. Test that the jam is set by spooning a small amount onto a cooled plate. If it wrinkles when dragging your finger through the surface then it is ready. Store in a hot sterilised jar.
- For the meringue buttercream, start by whisking egg whites and caster sugar in a large bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Whisk continuously until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove bowl from heat. Whisk on high speed until stiff peaks are formed. Add butter, two tablespoons at a time, until thick and fluffy. Add some of the blueberry jam to give colour.
- To assemble the cake, place one layer of cake on a serving platter followed by a third of the jam and icing. Repeat with two more layers. Finish with a handful of fresh berries.