Texan Chilli Beans
Hearty beans with bacon flavor, Texan Chilli Beans are best served with crusty bread or baked potatoes to soak up the sauce!
- 2 420g cans white canellini beans or baked beans in tomato sauce
- 6 rashers lean rindless bacon, chopped
- 2 tbs oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1 420g can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup ketchup or tomato sauce
- 2 tbs CSR Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp malt vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups beef or vegetable stock
- Place the beans in a large saucepan. Stir in the bacon pieces, oil, onion and garlic. Stir over a medium heat for 3 – 5 mins then add the other ingredients. Stir until it comes to the boil then turn down the heat and simmer for 15 – 20 mins, stirring often. Serve in small bowls or mugs with optional chopped parsley and grated cheese sprinkled over. Great with toasted crusty bread.