Rich Fruit Cake
A rich fruit cake is traditional for Wedding or Christmas celebrations but you don’t need an excuse to make it! Serve with warm custard or a dollop of cream.
- 1.5kg mixed dried fruit
- 250g glace cherries, red & green mixed
- 100g mixed peel
- 1 tbs grated orange rind
- 1 tbs grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup brandy or dark rum
- 500g butter
- 1 1/2 cups CSR Dark Brown Sugar
- 8 eggs
- 2 bananas
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 4 cups flour
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- Preheat the oven to 150°C and line a 25cm deep cake tin with two layers of brown paper and one layer of grease proof paper.
- Place the mixed fruit, cherries, mixed peel, orange rind, lemon rind and brandy or rum in a large bowl and mix well. Cover and leave overnight.
- Cream butter and CSR Dark Brown Sugar until it is light and fluffy, add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, and then add the bananas and vanilla essence.
- Stir in the fruit mixture, mix well and add the flour. Mix until well combined.
- Bake for approximately three and a half hours, or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.