Olive Oil Biscuits
Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 15 mins
This dairy free Olive Oil Biscuits recipe is a Justine Schofield classic as seen on Everyday Gourmet. The biscuit has extra crunch thanks to the CSR Demerara Sugar in the mixture.
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for greasing
- CSR Pure Icing Sugar, sifted, for dusting
- 1 x 7g sachet of dried yeast
- 3 tbsp CSR Demerara Sugar , plus extra for sprinkling
- 300g Tipo “00” flour + extra, for dusting
- 1 tbsp finely grated orange zest
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp pistachios, toasted, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C fan-forced. Lightly grease two baking trays with olive oil and dust with icing sugar.
- In a small jug, place the yeast and a pinch of sugar in 150ml warm water, stir well to dissolve and leave for about 5 mins or until mixture becomes frothy. Stir in the remaining sugar and whisk in the oil.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, orange zest, fennel seeds and salt. Make a well in the centre and slowly pour in the yeast mixture, using a fork to incorporate. Once the dough has come together, knead using your hands to form a smooth dough. Divide into 16 pieces.
- Lightly dust a clean work surface with a little extra flour. Roll the pieces into balls, then using a rolling pin roll out each ball to about 8cm diameter. Place biscuits on the prepared trays, leaving about 4cm between each biscuit.
- Lightly brush the surface of each biscuit with egg white, sprinkle with pistachios then dust lightly with icing sugar and scatter over a little extra caster sugar. Bake biscuits in the oven for about 12-15 mins or until golden and crisp. Transfer to wire racks to cool.