French Lemon Tart
This French lemon tart is a classic dessert perfect for all seasons.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup CSR Pure Icing Sugar
- 125g butter, chilled and cubed
- 2 lemons rind, finely grated
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbs iced water
- 5 eggs
- 1/2 cup CSR Caster Sugar
- 3/4 cup cream
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C
- To prepare the pastry, place the flour and icing sugar in a food processor and mix for a few seconds. Add the butter in small cubes and process until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the rind, egg yolk and iced water and process for a few seconds. Tip the mixture onto a sheet of plastic film and gather into a ball. Refrigerate for 20 mins.
- Roll out the pastry to about 5-7mm thickness and line a 23-25cm removable bottom flan dish. Lightly press a sheet of buttered foil onto the pastry.
- Bake the flan for 10 mins. Carefully remove the foil and continue cooking for another 5 mins, until golden.
- To make the filling, beat the eggs and sugar in a bowl until frothy and the sugar begins to dissolve. Beat in the cream, until just mixed. Add the lemon juice. Pour into the cooked pastry shell and bake at 180°C for 20-25 mins or until the filling is set. Cool then refrigerate.