Date Walnut Loaf
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 30 mins
Home-made breads like this Date Walnut Loaf are always better than the store-bought alternatives.
A family recipe that was passed down, this Date Walnut Loaf is best served hot with a generous smother of the honey butter.
- 1 cup dates, chopped
- ½ cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- ½ cup sultanas
- 1 tsp bi-carb soda
- 15g butter, melted
- 1 cup CSR Dark Brown Sugar
- 250ml boiling water
- 2 cups plain flour, sifted
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 150g butter, room temperature
- 2 tbsp honey
- Heat oven to 160°C fan-forced. Grease two small loaf tins 25cm x 8cm x 4cm
- In a large heat proof bowl, combine dates, walnuts, sultanas, bicarb soda, butter and sugar. Add boiling water and mix well.
- Add flour, salt and egg. Gently mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared tins and bake for 20-30 mins or until golden. Cool slightly then remove from the tin.
- Meanwhile, make the butter by mixing butter and honey in s small dish using a wooden spoon.
- Serve loaf warm with honey butter.