Christmas Present Fruit Cake
Prep: 20 mins
Cook: 120 mins
Fruit Cake is a festive nostalgic favourite so why not make it into a present – bow and all! Wrap up this Christmas Present Fruit Cake in cellophane with a festive bow for a delicious home-made gift. Download the stencil here.
- 1kg dried fruits (raisins, mixed fruit, sultanas)
- 100g dried figs, chopped
- ¾ cup brandy
- ½ cup orange juice
- 225g butter, diced and softened
- 1 cup CSR Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp CSR Treacle
- 4 eggs
- 1½ cups plain flour
- ½ cup self-raising flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- CSR Pure Icing Sugar, to decorate
- Pre-heat oven to 150°C (130°C fan-forced). Lightly grease and line a deep 20 x 20cm cake pan with three layers of baking paper.
- Combine dried fruits and figs in a large saucepan with brandy and orange juice. Mix well over a low heat for 8 mins until liquid is absorbed and fruit softened. Set aside to cool.
- Beat butter and sugar in a large bowl of an electric mixer until pale and creamy. Mix in the treacle. Add eggs one at a time until well incorporated. Fold in flours and spices.
- Add fruit mixture to batter, mixing until well combined. Pour batter into prepared cake pan and smooth the top. Bake for 2 hours, or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan before removing to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- For serving; place cooled cake onto serving plate and using preferred stencil, place over top of cake and dust heavily with icing sugar.