Chocolate Layered Meringue Cake
Move over pavlova, there’s a new meringue in town: Chocolate Layered Meringue Cake. This show stopper has three layers of chocolate swirled meringue, filled with cream and raspberries and topped with dripping chocolate sauce.
- 120g dark chocolate (50% cocoa), finely chopped, plus extra shaved to serve
- 8 eggs, separated into whites
- 250g CSR Caster Sugar
- Pinch salt
- 250g CSR Pure Icing Sugar
- 50g Dutch cocoa powder
- 3 tsp cornflour
- 65g dark chocolate (50% cocoa), coarsely chopped
- 10g unsalted butter
- 75g CSR Caster Sugar
- 70g liquid glucose
- 2 tsp Dutch cocoa powder, sieved
- 100ml thickened cream
- Pinch sea salt
- 400ml thickened cream
- 400g crème fraiche
- 50g CSR Pure Icing Sugar
- Scraped seeds of 1 vanilla bean
- 120g raspberries
- Preheat oven to 100°C fan-forced. Trace a 25cm x 12cm rectangle on 3 sheets of baking paper, then place each sheet pencil-side down on a lightly greased baking tray.
- For the meringue; melt chocolate in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth. Set aside.
- Whisk eggwhites, caster sugar and salt in a large bowl of an electric mixer for 6-7 mins, until firm, glossy peaks form.
- Sieve together the icing sugar, cocoa and cornflour. Gradually fold into the egg mixture a tablespoon at a time with beaters on slow speed. Once all incorporated, remove from machine and using a large spoon, fold the melted chocolate in to create a ripple effect.
- Divide mixture evenly among prepared trays, spreading within the rectangles. Bake, swapping and turning trays, for 1¼ hrs, until crisp and dry. Turn oven off, leaving the door ajar to allow the meringue to cool completely.
- For chocolate sauce; melt chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of simmering water, stirring occasionally until smooth, approx. 2-3 mins. Combine remaining ingredients and 50ml water in a saucepan and bring to the boil. Stir in chocolate mixture and bring back to the boil, season salt flakes and refrigerate to chill.
- For cream filling; whisk cream, crème fraiche, icing sugar and vanilla seeds in the bowl of an electric mixer to soft peaks. Refrigerate until required.
- To serve; place a meringue rectangle on a platter, spread with a third of the cream, then top with a third of the raspberries and a drizzle of chocolate sauce. Repeat layerings, finishing with raspberries, then drizzle with chocolate sauce and scatter with shaved chocolate.