Choc Chunk Tahini Cookies
Your favourite chocolate cookies just got a light twist with the addition of tahini and spelt flour. Indulge in these Choc Chunk Tahini Cookies to satisfy your sweet cravings.
- 1 cup (280g) hulled tahini (see cook’s notes)
- 1 cup (220g) CSR Raw Caster Sugar
- ⅓ cup (80ml) maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 cups (280g) wholemeal spelt flour
- ¼ tsp bicarb soda
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- 200g chopped dark chocolate
- Pre-heat oven to 160°C. Line 2 large baking trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Place the tahini, sugar, maple syrup, vanilla and egg in a large bowl and mix well to combine.
- Place the flour, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder in a medium bowl and stir to combine. Sift the flour mixture into the tahini mixture and mix well to combine. Add the chocolate and fold to combine.
- Roll heaped tablespoons of the dough into 24 balls and place on the trays. Flatten the cookies slightly and bake for 12–14 mins or until light golden. Allow to cool on the trays.
This recipe works best when a smooth, thick, hulled tahini is used. Avoid those jars that have fully settled on the shelf (with a large layer of oil at the top and dried-out tahini underneath). Look for a fresh, good-quality, blended variety.
You can swap the spelt flour for buckwheat flour to make these cookies gluten free. Just double check your baking powder is gluten free too!