Friands are the new cupcakes. These Berry Friands by My Lovely Little Lunch Box are a simple and tasty sweet treat. Filled with mixed berries and topped with All Natural Buttercream Icing, they make the perfect addition to your at-home high tea.
- ⅔ cup (100g) plain flour
- 1⅔ cups CSR Soft Icing Mixture
- 1 cup (125g) almond meal
- 6 egg whites, whisked until frothy
- 160g butter, melted and slightly cooled
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste (or extract)
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 125g mixed berries (raspberries and blueberries)
- 160g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 x 250g packet CSR Strawberry Buttercream Icing mixture
- 3 tsp water
- 125g fresh berries
- CSR Soft Icing Mixture, to dust
- Preheat oven to 180°C fan-forced. Grease 10 holes of a friand tin. Set aside.
- Sift the flour and icing mixture into a large bowl. Add the almond meal and whisk to combine. Add the egg whites, melted butter, vanilla and lemon zest and whisk to combine.
- Evenly divide the batter between the prepared tin. Top each friand with a few berries. Bake for 20-25 mins or until a skewer inserted removes cleanly.
- Allow the friands to cool for 5 mins before carefully removing from the tin and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the buttercream icing, use an electric mixer to beat the butter until pale. Gradually add buttercream icing mix and water, beating continuously until smooth, approximately 3-5 mins.
- Top each friand with a generous spoonful of buttercream, top with berries and dust with icing sugar.